Thursday, March 13, 2008

The Things Our Children Teach Us

Tonight I was in Wal-mart with Lilly. She loves to go out and about. We were standing in the check-out line and I had moved to the front of the cart to put our purchases on the counter. When I turned around Lilly was talking so animatedly to a man that was waiting behind us. I usually try very hard not to judge people by first appearances or anything, but this man was someone that could affectionately be known as having a "thug type look" and he was talking back to Lilly (even though you can't understand what she is saying). Then he told me that he had a 3 month old at home that is just starting to really talk a lot. It was in that moment that I realized that he is typically the kind of person that I wouldn't interact with, but here is my daughter who doesn't have a biased bone in her body, and I realized how often we really do judge by first appearances and how a child just doesn't care. They want to interact with everyone and learn all that they can. I am writing this because it really did teach me a lesson tonight, and it just goes to show once again that we should all try and be as little children are.

1 comments:

britni jean said...

lilly is such a great example for all of us. thanks for sharing! also a BIG "THANK YOU" to you! i got the cutest little outfit in the mail the other day. i love it! thank you heather, you are the greatest!!